Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Wish he's dead

As usual, shooting or bombs' sound is my alarm to wake up now a day! But this time it was so close, look through window and saw Army everywhere calling to stay at houses and close doors.

And who dare to go out at this time, then they just disappear after checking no. of houses. I was looking from the second floor roof when I met my neighbour, a 30 years lady, had 4 daughters and one son, her husband kidnapped since months ago.

I was always avoid meeting this lady to avoid talking about her husband, I can't hold my tears , am weak in these events and really she need someone cheer up her not disappoint her.

I couldn't took my eyes away from her because she called me and said " Nibras, did you get a copy of Al - Mojahdeen's CD, they distributed it yesterday night on houses?"

I surprised " Which CD you mean?"

She replied " we found a CD of Al Mojahdeen operations in our garden and all neighbours did "
I said" I didn't check my garden yet"


Then she cried " I thought it's a CD of torturing my husband and those kidnappers send it!!"I was trying to take her tears away by encouraging her and start a chat with her about that finally!"

She start telling me the story.........

" He was at office when those kidnappers entered and took him with others. I was at home when his colleagues called me and told me what happened!

I was shouting like crazy till I realized that I should move on and try to find way to contact him. I tried to call him on his cell phone with no success, it was out of coverage for all time.I didn't receive any calls from kidnappers as used in all kidnapping accidents!

I start telling everybody about that to advise me for any was to contact him... Finally one of those families who their son kidnapped before told me about some one can contact kidnappers in these case and he could find way for negotiation.This man was Shiatte and responsible to contact Sunni militias when the kidnapped person it Shiatte . So when a shiatte kidnapped, he call Sunni to see if they have the victim then days of negotiations start till get back the victim to his family or his body if he's dead.

I gave him my husband picture and asked him to contact me as soon as he get any information.Then, a huge number of SMS started threaten me to kill my husband if I won't pay them what they want.

I said I will pay anything just to get back my husband but just give me a sign that he still alive.They refused, then I back to this SHiatte contact telling him what happened... he asked my to wait because he'll contact them and after days of waiting , he back and ask me to get the money ready and meet him in a place when he could give them the money and get back my husband. I said and how I trust them and I don't have any sign if my husband is still alive, he said it's the only option for you or you could give me the money to deliver it to them.

I know he was liar and will get the money and runaway and I know well if the world heard that will think am silly but it was my only hope to get back my husband.


Another days of waiting after giving him the money with no reply! And one day he called me and said go to this place after 4 hours and you'll get your husband back...I hurry to this address fill with hope and prayers to find him alive.

I waited so long , hours , days and month now without hearing anything about my husband or this man! I tried to call him like crazy and tried to find way to meet him with no success till one day his cell phone worked ...begging him to have any information on my husband ... He said I gave them the money and I told you before that I don't promise you anything... From that time and am checking the morgues on daily bases... hope to find his body... Wish he is dead... Wish he is dead... I start envy those families who their members have been kidnapped and got their bodies back when they killed.

*********************************************************

The words lost, couldn't stop crying and nothing to say!!

I get back my courage and said " Please ... hold on ... I know it's hard but hold on and try to stop your pain and a lot of people too ... Please contact police or army and give them the information to arrest those guys who were playing with your feeling and extorting you too.

She replied with crying voice " Nibras , will never kill my husband in my hands" Wish I could tell her that your husband doesn't worth anything for them and maybe he's lying in one of rivers or any area in this country... and you courage to stop repeating that is much important than doing nothing.... Wish I could! But I don't blame her at all , she's human and mother in same time and want to get back her husband.


One day I was reading about one of characters in one of French romans, the world judge him when he said " Sometimes we wish that our close people are dead"!! they consider him wired and doesn't belong to humanity! And what does the world call this lady when she wish her husband is dead?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Nibras I hope you post this in a big title.

Today at 12 am early morning (midnight) the u.s. army with at least 3 helicopters. started a raid against the people in this neighborhood.
They killed 2 guards which were protecting the streets.
then they removed all the streets blocks which we used to close the streets.

They killed two girls who were in their relative house when they heard the shooting they went to their house coz the shooting was so so loud.

not the normal weapons they used some very noisy weapons.

they smashed the doors with sound bombs

but they did not search houses and did not arrest anyone
this war lasted 4 hours continuous

they also shot at people windows and broke the glass

and clearly there was no fire against them

the sound of the weapons used by american army is different from ak 47

and it was only them who were shooting

finally we got our neighborhood opened so that terrorists can move freely to kill people

that is the goal of the raid, is to make a safe neighborhood, a terrorists club

we all now think and believe that usa is behind terrorists and they are supplying them with all their weapons and money and any help they need like clearing the way and opening closed roads

thank u
take care

Anonymous said...

Dear Nibras:
As I type this, I am listening to the end of the BBC's World--Have Your Say. The topic was "What do you think of the news coming out of Iraq?" OF COURSE any time people start talking about the press and Iraq, I have LOTS (and LOTS) of comments to make....So I quickly grabed my new cell phone to call London, because I wanted to TELL THE WORLD what was wrong...Unfortunately, the only "wrong" I discovered was that I was TOO CHEAP to pay for international coverage on my cell phone! Moreover, I couldn't call on my newly installed land line either, because this ridiculous, old phone I have needs an AC adapter to work, and I've lost the plug-in adapter....So, me being sloppy and incompetent is clearly a problem, but not anything I wanted to share with the BBC...But we digress.

Because I did not get through to the BBC, your tough luck is that you now have to listen to me....(unless you simply delete my diatribe, and go on with your day).

Here's what I wanted to say to the BBC. First, I became angry because the initial reporter who introduced the program talked about the wide variations in estimates of Iraqi civilians killed during the four years of war. The reporter stated that estimates ran from 50,000 to as high as 655,000. She then dimissed the lower estimate, but then just said the 655,000 number was "too high."

That number, the 655,000, is based on the study by Lancet, the British medical firm or magazine...I am not sure. Anyway, that number is the only based an "on the ground" survey, with the most accurate statistical methods they could use. After the results of that study were released, President Bush denounced the study as "inaccurate" and "unbelievable." President Bush then mentioned his belief in the 50,000 number, based on "media reports." If the Iraq government--or President Bush--disagrees with the Lancet Study, then they need to get out, put boots on the ground (to coin a phrase), and either do a competing study--or commit the resources and find an accurate number. Until then, the Lancet study is the most accurate number--and that is 655,000. For either the Iraq government or especially the US government to claim to rely on "media reports" is irresponsible and insulting.

My next point involved the comments of a man from the Kurdistan region. He was saying that part of the problem with the world's view of Iraq was the fact the press only reported the "bad news" and not any of the "good news." For example, everything was just fine in the Kurdistan region. (After he said this, the women who were from Baghdad jumped on him, and asked him "So--Is that your solution? Everybody in Iraq should move to Kurdistan, because that is so much better?"). After the man from the Kurd area was attacked, he apologized, and said (understandably, in my view) that he appreciated how awful things were in central and southern Iraq, but that life had been really crappy in the Kurd areas for a long time, but the world was not paying attention. At least now the world was paying attention to Baghdad...But the fact that the Kurd areas--for the first time in about "100 years" was not a big mess, that was also newsworthy...(A hundred years? I think he exagerated....Maybe 90 years, since the collapse of the Ottomen Empire after the first world war...But he still had a point).

My complaint with his attacks on the press was that more members of the press had been killed in the four years of the Iraq war, than in the entire history of the Vietnam and Korean conflicts combined. To say that the reporters are not doing their jobs, when so many have put their lives on the line--and died--that does a disservice to their efforts, and disrepects their memory. As a whole, the press is doing a tremendous job, and individual reporters are heroes, for putting their lives at risk....If the news coming out of Iraq appears to be "all bad," that is BECAUSE the news out of Iraq **IS IN FACT** all bad.

Finally, my question for the Iraqi people involved what you all thought about President Bush's proposal to send in a "surge" of approximately 20,000 troops to try and pacify Baghdad.

Personally, I have very conflicted emotions over that proposal. First and foremost, I am STILL horrified four years later, about that disgraceful speech that President Bush made to the UN, stating that the US was going to invade Iraq, with or without a mandate from the Security Counsel--a clear violation of International Law. A "surge" of more troops just has a crappy feel of an additional "invasion force." Second, it is not news to anyone not named George W. Bush that the American invasion was badly botched. Everyone knew that without enough people to maintain civil order, the social structure would collapse, and looting like the Iraqis had never seen would occur. That was the real source of destruction...The looting, and then came the Council for Provisional Authority, who fumbled everything (the military refered to all the Bush Flacks and Hacks that made up the CPA as the "Can't Produce Anything").

so--Iraq is essentially destroyed by the gross incompetence of the Bush Administration. There is no dispute about that.

But to remedy that destruction...One the one hand, will more American troops be a hinderance, and just cause more problems? On the other hand, the former Secretary of Defense, Colin Powell, explained "If you break it, you've bought it." America has broken Iraq--what is it that the Iraqi people need to repair it?

Personally, I have no idea if this "surge" of troops is a good thing or a bad thing. But if anyone were to ask me what needed to happen, I would have president Bush go back before the general assembly of the UN with a copy of his speech from four years ago, and go through it point by point, listing everywhere he was wrong, and apologize to the UN and the people of Iraq. Then, President Bush would ask the Security Council to take over the "peace" in Iraq, and truly have a REAL UN force (not American troops, then a bunch of American "contractors," and then some Brits, and a few other guys....). Put all the forces under control of the UN...

The message to the Iraqi people would be: "American screwed up your country very badly. We admit that, and we were responsible. Now, here is what we are doing different: The UN will be directing reconstruction and troop deployment. We are serious about rebuilding your nation, and to show you we mean it...We are turning over all control to the UN."

And then...President Bush signs the Kyoto Protocols, the Treaty eliminating land mines, Ratifies the UN Declaration of Human Rights, Closes the prison camp in Guantanamo, Joins the International Court on Human Rights, and accepts its jurisdiction...I get to sleep with a young Sophia Loren...and then I wake up.

Seriously, though, I would like to know what you think about President Bush's proposed "surge."

Thank you for your brave work, Nibras....And always remember that many, many people all over the world think of you, and admire you.

Bill Abendroth
Portland, Oregon, USA