Saturday, January 20, 2007

Kid's Sorrows

Maybe he’s a kid like most kids in Iraq and maybe am sensitive more than normal towards kids.

I was in my way to work when I noticed a 10 years old kid pushing a cart full with gas; it was really cold that day. He was wearing a light coat, covering his head by a peace of tissue.


He touches my heart by this look of poorness and feeling of pain and inability to do that anymore. I asked brother to stop the car! I want to talk to this kid and see what kind of parents who leave a kid in these dangerous roads.

I have a brother turn to 11 years old in Jan. , I try hard to give him a warm bed and best cloths and food but sometimes I feel guilty because I can’t spend long time with him because am busy with work and a lot of things in life.

Why we bring life to those kids if we aren’t able to offer them the best life which any human deserve! I know it’s not logical what am saying but that’s the true, wish I can take all those kids from those careless parents and ask all people to stop bring suffer to this world.

I asked this kid why he is outside home in this cold weather, he replied “its cold everywhere and better to be outside home and get money than staying at home and suffer from hanger”
Big answer for a little kid, I said “And where’s your parents?” he replied with a cold smile” My father is asking me to do that to help him in covering the family expenses”

Then he asked me to buy gas or leave because he’s afraid to talk to strangers, I asked him again “Did you go to school?” He refused to answer and asked me to leave. I said “Am going to give you money weekly if you promised to stay at home safe, and if you show where do you live, am ready to go to your family and maybe help all your family”

He said “And are you going to help 16 kids, sick mom and crazy father?” I shocked when he said that he has 16 brothers and sisters!!

I said “God bless you and all those innocent kids, but please let me help you”, he said “Please leave!”

I kissed his cold cheek and put money in his pocket and left with tears in my eyes to what this kid and all his brother and sisters are suffering! I will pass this street everyday wishing to see him again and helped him.

There is no body to ask for help in that; only God, but wish all parents stop for moment and ask themselves one question “Am I ready to give the best life to this kid before bring life to him/her?”

God bless all those kids everywhere!

Nibras

5 comments:

leif said...

Thank you Nibras, I like to read, than I at least know you are safe.

Your friend in France

Anonymous said...

Dear Nibras,
Let me second my distinguished collegue Leif's comment about concern for your safety. Like I imagine everyone who has ever been fortunate enough to have you touch their lives, with every news of a car bomb or shooting or kidnapping or other horrible occurence that is obscenely common in today's Bagdad, my first reaction is (and always will be) "Oh my god...Please let Nibras be okay."
But I wanted to write you to let you know I have been thinking of you alot, especially this week--an awful week in American history. (A cynic would say that I am thinking about you because you are an attractive and personable young woman--but on that allegation, I refuse to comment....)
I was thinking about you, because I have been reading Thomas Paine's Common Sense. On February 14, 1776, Mr. Paine said "the cause of America is in great measure the cause of all mankind." I believe that to be true, not only because I am an american, but because in my view, the "cause of America" in Thomas Paine's America, is the cause of democracy: the basic recognition of the fundamental rights of all human beings; a belief and practice that everyone is equal under the law, even regardless of national boundries. This week that cause suffered a horrific setback. The federal court of appeals affirmed that the "detainees" ie political prisoners held in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, have been stripped of their most basic rights. Not since the embarassment of detaining Japanese Americans in camps during World War II, America now stands for the proposition that anyone thrown in the Cuban larger does not have access to federal courts, and cannot challenge the legality of their continued detention, or even the conditions of their detention. So, what is to stop the US Government from holding political prisoners, or torturing them? In a word: Nothing.

American democracy has been thrown back to pre-thirteenth century days....Even a corrupt idiot like King John was forced to recognize the right of habeas corpus under the Magna Carta.

Most Americans would challenge me, asking me how do I know the political prisoners are being tortured....my response is I know some of the attorneys who are representing some of those inmates---but more to the point, the only guarantee against misconduct is sunshine: If there is nothing wrong with the continued detention and conditions of those prisoners in Guantanamo--then give them their day in federal court. The frivilous cases will be dismissed. If they are denied their day in court...then no one can be sure.
Yes, the cause of America is the cause of all mankind. And if America abandons its principles, then that opens the doors for any and all OTHER petty tyrants to disregard basic human rights. How do I know? Some obscure blogger in Egypt was sentenced to four years in prison this week, for saying bad things about Hosni Mubarak--truly one of the world's biggest stooges and incompetents. If the US can pull that crap, why not Egypt? After all, Egypt is the second largest receipient of American aid, second only to Israel. Mubarak would long ago be out of power, and working at a job more suited to his talents (I'm thinking picking up heavy things and moving them around or peeling potatoes), but for the fact he purses his lips at the drop of a hat, to kiss any american butt on demand......

Yes, Nibras--that is the legacy of my generation of Americans. I am ***so*** proud!

(Incidently--if there is any chance that me shooting my mouth off will cause you problems, PLEASE delete this and put the blame on me).

Take care....and know that I think of you often...

Bill Abendroth

PS to the World: Any and all statements in this comment are the opinions (deranged and otherwise) of Bill Abendroth (especially the libelous ones), and should not in any way be attributed to Nibras, "Day in Irag," this web server, or any person in their right mind, living or dead.

almahdawi said...

God bless you, and all of iraqi people especially our kids.. i didn't recognized my feeling while i'm reading this .. is it anger upon all of politician who leads iraq now or it's sadness for what happining now .. i have one daughter she is 3 years old now and my second daughter dai after her berth by 15 days, of course, we said it's God willing, but i cant stop thinking of that night in hospetal.. when she open her tiny eyes on the sound of bombing and the careless of doctors becuz they were busy with corpses and injured people who filled the hospetal corridors .. sometimes i think that she refused to stay in our world and she prefered to go back to her previous world .. anyway, after that i decided to stop it, "NO MORE KIDS" till the situation get well or if i moved to another country where i can find peace .. now I wish to know "is it reasonable thinking or not ??

Anonymous said...

God bless you, and all of iraqi people especially our kids.. i didn't recognized my feeling while i'm reading this .. is it anger upon all of politician who leads iraq now or it's sadness for what happining now .. i have one daughter she is 3 years old now and my second daughter dai after her berth by 15 days, of course, we said it's God willing, but i cant stop thinking of that night in hospetal.. when she open her tiny eyes on the sound of bombing and the careless of doctors becuz they were busy with corpses and injured people who filled the hospetal corridors .. sometimes i think that she refused to stay in our world and she prefered to go back to her previous world .. anyway, after that i decided to stop it, "NO MORE KIDS" till the situation get well or if i moved to another country where i can find peace .. now I wish to know "is it reasonable thinking or not ??

Anonymous said...

I read with sadness,anger & interest of your life in baghdad. That millions of people live as you do is more than most of us can comprehend. I found your site by Googling up the name of a song of have written 'Did Santa Claus Make Baghdad'. I wiil attach the lyrics and hope the knowledge that people all around the world do think about and pray for all involved in the terrrible conflicts going on in our world.
Did Santa Claus Make Baghdad
My Daddy is a soldier over in Irag
And Mommy says if Santa made it through
Come next year there's a good chance
Daddy'll be home here with us too
CHORUS
Can you tell me Mr President can you tell me please
Did Santa Claus make Baghdad on Christmas Eve

Did Santa see the little Iragui children
Make a path of dancing candle light
To guide him safely through the darkness
On that cold, cold dark desert
night
CHORUS
I share the dreams of the Iraqui children
that Santa will bring gifts of peace and love
With a joyful Ho Ho Ho
As he circles high above
CHORUS